STEMfest Explain It! Video Competition Rules
Deadline Extended! All entries due Friday, October 9, 2015
- Must explain a concept, topic, idea, phenomena, or theory in any of the STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math). Feel free to be creative. No ‘talking head’ videos, please. Don’t just tell us – show us!
- Should be between 2 – 4 minutes long.
- Must contain only your own or your group’s original work – including music, sound effects, photography. See Resource Guide for a list of creative tools you can use.
- Can be any production type including but not limited to live action video, animation, or animated photo essay. (An animated photo essay is a series of still images that have been strung together using video editing software and set to music, narration, or both.)
- Must not be boring.
Video Submission Instructions
Entries will be divided into groups based on age/grade level. Entries must be completed by groups of 4 or fewer students playing a central role. Categories are
- Individual/Small Group: K-2
- Individual/Small Group: 3-5
- Individual/Small Group: 6-8
- Individual/Small Group: 9-12
Judging will be based on the following criteria.
- Accuracy – Was your explanation correct?
- Technical Quality (i.e. focused images, clear sound, interesting graphics)
- Overall Effectiveness
Individual/Small group( up to 4 people):
3rd place - one STEMfest T-shirt per team member
2nd place - one STEMfest T-shirt and one STEM Saturday classes, value up to $80 per student per team member
1st place - one STEMfest T-shirt and one STEM Saturday classes, value up to $160 per student per team member
1st place - one hour customized demo show at their location, value $300
Winners will be announced and publicly screened on October 17th at STEMfest. Additional honors may be awarded at the judges’ discretion.
Resources and Tools
You don’t have the right software to create your video? Don’t worry! Here is a list of just a few easy and free tools you can use to create your video. There are lots more available online.
Video/Animated Slideshow Editing
- Microsoft Movie Maker – Video editing tool
- Microsoft PhotoStory – Create animated slide shows with music and narration
- Wax – Video SoftwareMusic
- Aviary – Online music creator
- Audacity – Record and mix your own music or voice
- Hobnox – Create your own high energy tracks
- JamStudio – Create your own music online