STEMfest Explain It! Video Competition Rules
Aspiring young filmmakers are invited to participate in the 4th annual STEMfest Video Competition.
- Must explain a concept, topic, idea, phenomena, or theory in any of the STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math). Feel free to be creative. No ‘talking head’ videos, please. Don’t just tell us – show us!
- Should be between 1 – 5 minutes long.
- Must contain only your own or your group’s original work – including music, sound effects, photography. See Resource Guide for a list of creative tools you can use.
- Can be any production type including but not limited to live action video, animation, or animated photo essay. (An animated photo essay is a series of still images that have been strung together using video editing software and set to music, narration, or both.)
- Must not be boring.
Entry Guidelines - Read Thoroughly!
- The STEMfest Video Competition is open to current K-12 students ages 5 – 18. (Note: Adult sponsors must submit on behalf of students under 13.)
- Videos can be submitted by individuals or teams.
- All entries must be posted in the STEMfest Video 2013 studio on MashPlant Studio in order to be judged. See How to Join the Studio below. All studio requests must be verified before you can post. Verification may take up to 24 hours to complete. Request access to MashPlant Studio by October 14, 2013.
- All entries, team or individual, must have an adult sponsor. The sponsor must be 21 years or older and can be a parent, teacher, or other responsible adult. The role of the sponsor is as follows:
- Serve as the primary contact.
- Collect and submit parent permission slips for all team members and other students who appear in the video.
- Confirm that the project follows the contest rules and contains only original work created by the team or individual.
- If students are under 13 years of age, the sponsor must join the MashPlant Studio in order to post the video for judging.
- All entries must be submitted by the adult sponsor to MashPlant Studio on or before October 16, 2013 at noon Central Standard Time.
- The adult sponsor must complete a STEMfest Video Competition entry form. Click here for the entry form. A link to your video must be included on the entry form.
- ALL students who appear in the video MUST have signed parental permission. The adult sponsor is responsible for ensuring that permission slips are completed and mailed or faxed (815-753-0666) to STEM Outreach by October 16, 2013 for the video to be eligible. Deadline extended: now 12:00PM Central Standard Time, Wednesday, October 16, 2013.
- Video Format: Your video should be submitted as an MP4 or other supported formats: avi, mov, mpeg, mpg, or wmv. The recommended screen resolution is 640x480.
- Please follow digital safety guidelines. The videos will be viewable online. Please do not include the last names of any students involved in the production of the video in the title or credits. Complete names are required on the entry form only.
- Follow the link to request access to the studio: http://studio.mashplant.com/signupstudio.
Adult sponsors must register on behalf of students under 13.
- Use Studio Access Code ExplainIt13 to request access to the STEMfest Video 2013 studio. Only users with the access code can join the studio. All requests will be reviewed and approved by the studio administrator. Be sure to request access by October 14th to ensure access by the video submission deadline on October 16th at noon.
Access Code: ExplainIt13
- After your request is approved, you will have access to the STEMfest Video 2013 studio and you can upload your video.
Entries will be divided into divisions by age/grade level.
Teachers – you can enter too for a chance to win a special Educator’s Award!
Judging will be based on the following criteria.
- Accuracy – Was your explanation correct?
- Technical Quality (i.e. focused images, clear sound, interesting graphics)
- Overall Effectiveness
A 1st place winner will be selected in each division. 2nd and 3rd place winners will receive certificates. Additional honors may be awarded at the judges’ discretion. Winners will be announced and publicly screened on October 19th at STEMfest.
Prizes for 1st place winners with individuals or groups a fewer than 8 people will receive coupons to a STEM Saturday of their choice. Groups with 8 people or more will receive a STEM demo show for their class.
The adult sponsor of the 1st place winner will also receive a pass to LearnIt conference, presented by the Department of Educational Technology, Research and Assessment (ETRA).
Resources and Tools
You don’t have the right software to create your video? Don’t worry! Here is a list of just a few easy and free tools you can use to create your video. There are lots more available online.
Video/Animated Slideshow Editing
- Microsoft Movie Maker – Video editing tool
- Microsoft PhotoStory – Create animated slide shows with music and narration
- Wax – Video SoftwareMusic
- Aviary – Online music creator
- Audacity – Record and mix your own music or voice
- Hobnox – Create your own high energy tracks
- JamStudio – Create your own music online
- SAM Animation – Watch the intro video on this one. There are some great ideas!!
- Scratch – Create and program your own animation
Mailing Address for Video Submissions
STEMfest Video Competition
C/O STEM Outreach
Lowden Hall 307
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
Contact Kristin Brynteson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 753-0928.